Marcy Carsey (born Marcia Lee Peterson on November 21, 1944) is American television producer. She is best known for her work with fellow producer Tom Werner forming the company Carsey-Werner Productions in 1981.
Life and careerEdit
In the 1960s, she was tour guide at NBC, later becoming a story editor for the Tomorrow Entertainment company. In 1974, she began working for ABC-TV as a comedy programming executive. During her tenure she developed the sitcoms Happy Days, Mork & Mindy and Soap. In 1980, she left ABC and in 1982 started Carsey Productions, an independent production company. She was joined in this venture a year later by Tom Werner who had worked with her at ABC. Together they formed Carsey-Werner Productions.
In 1990, she was awarded the Women in Film Crystal Award. In 2000, she was again recognized by Women in Film with the Lucy Award in recognition of her excellence and innovation in her creative works that have enhanced the perception of women through the medium of television.
In 2013, Marcy made a gift of $20 million to the University of New Hampshire to support the creation of the new Carsey School for Public Policy. This gift is the second largest in the university’s history.
Marcy was married to John Jay Carsey from April 12, 1969 until his death on April 2, 2002. Together they had two children, Rebecca and John.
- ↑ THE MEDIA BUSINESS; 'Cosby' Producers Strike It Rich, by Richard W. Stevenson for The New York Times (nytimes.com), December 23, 1988, article,  accessed 2010-11-09.
- ↑ [http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=carseymarcy Marcy Carsey biography at The Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC), The Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC), first accessed March 29, 2011.
- ↑ [http://www.carseywolf.ucsb.edu/marcy-carsey Marcy Carsey biography at website for the Carsey-Wolf Center, Carsey-Wolf Center, first accessed March 29, 2011.
- ↑ Past Recipients: Crystal Award,  Women In Film, accessed May 10, 2011.
- ↑ Women in Film (wif.org) past recipients
- ↑ Alumna Marcy Carsey Gives $20 Million to University of New Hampshire, University of New Hampshire Media Relations (unh.edu), first accessed October 2, 2013.
- Marcy Carsey at the Internet Movie Database (IMDb)