Nightmare on Oak Street was the 15th episode of Season 1 of Roseanne, also the 15th overall series episode. Directed by John Pasquin and written by Grace McKeaney, it first aired on ABC-TV on February 14, 1989.
Becky & Darlene watch a horror film, and Roseanne has been losing sleep, due to what she believes are Darlene's re-occurring nightmares. When the truth is revealed, that the scary movie isn't behind the insomnia, Roseanne learns that Darlene is starting her first period.
- Roseanne Barr as Roseanne Conner
- John Goodman as Dan Conner
- Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris
- Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner
- Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner
- Lecy Goranson as Becky Conner
- Roseanne says she was 11 years old when she got her period. But in the episode where they find out DJ's having erections, she tells him the story of her first period when she was 13 years old.
- When Roseanne first goes into Darlene's bedroom to get her back to sleep, you can see through the window that it is bright as if it were daytime.
- Becky: I wonder what people did before television.
- Roseanne: They made dolls out of corn cobs and stared at fire.
- Darlene: Can everybody shut up about nightmares? I didn't have a nightmare!
- Roseanne: Well then, why'd you have trouble going to sleep?
- Dan: Were you worried about your basketball game?
- Darlene: No, I wasn't worried about my basketball game.
- Roseanne: Did you screw up in history again, Darlene?
- Darlene: No I didn't screw up in history again.
- Roseanne: Well then, what is the matter?
- Darlene: I got my period! Okay?
- Jackie (to Roseanne): So what's going on?
- Roseanne: Darlene got her period last night.
- Jackie: No kidding? She's only 11.
- Roseanne: I was only 11!
- Jackie: Yeah, but you were already wearing a D-cup.
- Roseanne: Yeah, two of them.
- Jackie (about Darlene's first period): The poor kid's just been sentenced to 35 years of monthly inconvenience.
- Roseanne: Gee Jackie, I only hope I can find a way to impart that enlightened viewpoint on to my daughter.
- Jackie: You will, just tell her about all those famous athletic women types and how they all get their periods too.
- Jackie (when she and Roseanne remember how their mother dealt with their first periods): What about when she brought home pamphlets from the Red Cross?
- Roseanne: For two weeks I thought what I had was a natural disaster.
|Roseanne: Season One|
|Season Episode Guides|