Season One follows the Conner family (Roseanne, Dan, Becky, Darlene, and D.J.) as they deal with work, famliy, and friends. Roseanne (Rosanne Barr) is a line worker at Wellman Plastics, along with her sister Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) and friend Crystal (Natalie West).
Jackie has a brief relationship with Booker (George Clooney), the foreman at Wellman. Dan finds sporadic work as a construction contractor and faces a strained relationship with his irresponsible father Ed (Ned Beatty). Roseanne's parents, Beverly (Estelle Parsons) and Al (John Randolph), consider moving to Lanford, but eventually decide against it. Tomboy Darlene struggles with her femininity as she enters puberty and gets her first period. Becky faces dating problems with her first boyfriend Chip, who is introduced in the "Lover's Lane" episode. Season one also finds the Conners experiencing, and surviving, a tornado.
In the "Death and Stuff" episode a door-to-door salesman dies in the Conners' kitchen, and in the season finale, Roseanne stands up to a new foreman Mr. Faber (Fred Thompson), when she leads Jackie, Crystal, and other coworkers as they quit Wellman Plastics. DJ is played by Sal Barone in the pilot episode and by Michael Fishman for the remainder of the series. There is a running gag in this season where they use the word "corn" in every episode.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Starring[edit | edit source]
- Roseanne Barr as Roseanne Conner
- John Goodman as Dan Conner
- Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris (22 episodes)
- Sal Barone as D.J. Conner (1 episode)
- Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner
- Lecy Goranson as Becky Conner
- Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner (22 episodes)
Also Starring[edit | edit source]
Guests[edit | edit source]
- Jared Rushton as Chip Lang (3 episodes)
- William Sadler as Dwight (2 episodes)
- Josh Williams as Lonnie Anderson (2 episodes)
- Judy Prescott as Miss Crane (1 episode)
- Ned Beatty as Ed Conner (1 episode)
- Estelle Parsons as Beverly Harris (1 episode)
- John Randolph as Al Harris (1 episode)