The Parenting Trap was the 12th episode of Season 7 of Roseanne, also the 159th overall series episode. It was written by Sid Youngers, and was directed by Gail Mancuso. It originally aired on ABC-TV on December 14, 1994.
DJ's teacher informs Dan and Roseanne that he is having difficulties at school and they fight over who will deal with the problem. Dan is upset because he thinks Roseanne doesn't respect his parenting skills. He learns from Mark that the problem is that DJ has begun having erections in class - preventing him from rising to go the front of the class - and so Dan tells DJ how to cover up. But Roseanne isn't satisfied with this solution and tries to do better by telling DJ about her first menstruation, which sends him away screaming. Dan is shocked. Roseanne explains herself and apologizes, admitting she was wrong. This makes Dan feel validated about his own parenting skills.
Roseanne and Dan are called down to the school to see D.J.'s teacher because he refuses to write his homework on the board, and his teacher is concerned that D.J. may have a learning disability. Dan discovers that it is not because he can't do the work, but because he is at that age where boys sometimes get an involuntary erection, and D.J. is embarrassed to stand up. The family meets David's new girlfriend, Dinah. Darlene discovers that David is actually developing feelings for Becky.
- Roseanne as Roseanne Conner
- John Goodman as Dan Conner
- Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris
- Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner
- Sarah Chalke as Becky Conner
- Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner
- This is the second of only six episodes of Season 7 that the entire main cast appears in. This is mostly due to Sara Gilbert and Sarah Chalke being absent in large portions of the season.
|Roseanne: Season Seven|
|Season Episode Guides|