Tolerate Thy Neighbor was the fifth episode of Season 4 of Roseanne, also the 77th overall series episode. Written by Maxine Lapiduss and comedian/actor Martin Mull, the episode was directed by Andrew D. Weyman. It originally aired on ABC-TV on October 15, 1991.
Roseanne's new neighbors the Bowmans are out of town and Roseanne watches as a truck pulls up and men start to load up some of their belongings. Envious that they are "donating" their nice things, Roseanne grabs a token for herself. Upon their return, the Bowmans are furious that they had been robbed as Roseanne watched and did nothing.
- Roseanne Barr as Roseanne Conner
- John Goodman as Dan Conner
- Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris
- Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner
- Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner
- Lecy Goranson as Becky Conner
- Natalie West as Crystal Anderson (credit only)
- Bonnie Bramlett as Bonnie Watkins
- Martin Mull as Leon Carp
- Danton Stone as Jerry Bowman
- Meagen Fay as Kathy Bowman
- Michael Des Barres as Steven
- Carl Franklin as Officer Robbins
- Bob Hope as Himself (uncredited)
- This was the first and only episode to be written by Martin Mull, the actor that plays Leon Carp.
- Michael Des Barres (Steven) previously appeared in the Season 3 episode "Dances with Darlene" playing Leon's boyfriend, Jerry Gimbel. He would later appear in the Season 9 episode "The Miracle" playing another different character named Dr Phillips.
- Carl Franklin (Officer Robbins) makes his first appearance, he would later appear in the Season 5 episode "Terms of Estrangement, Part 1", but playing a different character called Gil.
- Despite being credited, Natalie West (Crystal Anderson) does not appear.
- Despite appearing, Bob Hope is not credited for his appearance.
- Kathy: I'm in Hell.
- Roseanne: No, you're just in Lanford. Same zip code though.
- Roseanne: The only thing I've ever wanted for my kids is that they're happy and that they're out of the house.. And I'll tell you something, happy ain't that important!
- Jerry: It's not for the burglars, it's for Roseanne.
- Dan: Electricity won't stop her, Jer, I've tried. Not much of a swimmer though. You might wanna build a moat.
- Becky (to Jackie): So you aced the driving test, huh?
- Jackie: Oh, yeah. You'd be amazed how courteous people are when they see an 18-wheeler with "Student Driver" written on it.
- Jerry: Kathy sort of had this idea that we should start a neighborhood watch.
- Dan: I thought that's what happened, Jerry. You got robbed and the neighborhood watched.
|Roseanne: Season Four|
|Season Episode Guides|